Friday, February 17, 2012

Palm Springs won a piece of my ♥

How does one begin to describe a place where the term "old fashion" actually means "super cool" ?  Or how about "old" meaning "retro chic"?? I could think about this for a long time... but to get to the point, I'll just say two words... Palm Springs.

Now I'm a bit delayed in blogging about this, and a few of you have already seen these photos... so bere with me please while I catch up :) Also keep in mind, a few of these photos are meant to be "old" looking, and "noisy" ... you photographers out there will know what that means... I did this on purpose to learn some skills using my cell phone camera... and for the photos to have an old school feel to them ... So with that disclaimer, here we go !


Pool side... need I say more ?


This was my first time visiting Palm Springs. I can tell you it won't be my last either. The Frank Sinatra charm kissed with the Marilyn Monroe sex appeal, drips all over this place. From the homes, the palms, the weather, the views.... nothing compared me for what I felt when we arrived.

This is going to sound funny to some of you, but one of the best parts of the trip for me, was arriving at the ADORABLY CHIC Palm Springs airport... and getting to walk out the back of the plane, smack dab into the warm desert air and sun!!! Seriously Captain ? You're going to open the back door and let us walk out ?!?!! I never thought this would happen, especially with how strict airport guidelines are now adays... but it was quite cool. We were one of the first ones to walk out the back, and ohhhhhhhhhhhhh it felt good hitting that heat after leaving 30 degree and snowy Seattle only 2 1/2 hours previously...


"I could get used to this Mom" .... yes .. I know you could little one !


Another FAB part of Palm Springs, which also may sound funny to some of you, is the fact that your bones feel better when you are there. I deal with upper back/shoulder and neck pain, almost on a daily basis. If it weren't for my hot tub, I would be on pain medication every single day. Thankfully, with a mix of hot tub, chiropractor and massage, I'm able to cope with the pain most of the time. Alot of you don't know this about me, but its a reality I deal with, and though sometimes it gets me down... I do my best to stay positive and do all I can (pray!!!) to make the pain manageable. Back to my bones not hurting... seriously, my entire body didn't hurt at all the entire time we were in the desert. It was a huge shock to me, a most welcomed shock I might add ! Your whole body warms, in a good way, when you visit the desert during our "winter" season.

Another good thing, your sinuses clear up !!! Now I completely understand why people, who are nicknamed "snowbirds" leave the wet, dampness of Washington State, in order to spend their "winter" in a dry climate. I had yet another bout w/sinus issues 2 weeks before our trip... to the point I was a bit worried about flying due to the pain. This is a winter issue I deal with and have to keep up on the natural things I do to keep it at bay and not a problem...Well, with in a DAY of landing in Palm Springs, not one ounce of pain felt in any of my sinus cavities! For those of you who suffer with the type of pain I'm describing, you almost want to cry when you realize that you don't hurt. My doctor is right... she suggested to find a vacation home and spend the winter months away from Washington, lol ... ummmmm, I thought she was kidding... nope, I get it now... Don't get me wrong, I LOVE living on an island, in the wonderful state of Washington, but... I will be leaving, at least part time, when I can later in life :) Alright, enough of the medical benefits of visiting Palm Springs !


Palms in the Palm Desert ...



I love this man. I can't imagine my life with out him. He's not only the best husband and most fantastic step dad to Kayla, he's my best friend, and being able to wake up next to him, travel with him and say goodnight to him every night make me swoon. To be able to travel with him and Kayla, is a high light to my busy years worth of "stuff" to do. We don't get away as much as we would like, but the times we do, we really live it up! We spent alot of time relaxing near the pool, talking and laughing about how great we both felt being there and hopes to visit it again. Palm Springs may of captured a small part of my heart, but this guy ... he holds the majority, lol ♥




"No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow"        Lin Yutang



During our trip, we stayed with my grandmother, and were taking care of very well !! They made us feel so at home, so welcomed, it made an already great trip even better. Watching Kayla spend one on one time together with her warmed my heart, as I recalled memories of myself at Kayla's age spending time at grandma's house on the farm.....




We walked around the condo area, exploring what we could, found some cool cactus with their blooms budding....




"Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine"     Unknown


♥ ♥ ♥  Family photo time !!!!! ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥


Mostly we stayed right around the condo just chilling out, but we did venture out to the Sultan Sea, which is about an hour east of Palm Desert. We traveled the back roads thru parts of California all of us have never seen. The town of Indio was interesting to say the least... Apparently we missed the "good part" of it... let's just say I made sure the doors were locked and that was that.... When we made it to the actual Sultan Sea, we were stunned with what we saw. 1000's upon 1000's of dead fish washed a shore and floating in the "sea" .... Later we learned it was Tillapia fish, and for decades they have been dying off by the millions every winter.... why ? No one can quite figure it out. Obviously, they are still producing and dying off and yet do it over year after year. We had our theory... the sulfuric smell coming from the sea was pungent, and obviously means its in the water... that combined with the heat, I can see why the fish die off.... None the less, it was a fun little drive out into the desert, and I did manage to get some cool scenic photos .... oh, and Kayla's dress just happen to match the sea, lol :)



Another trek we took was to The Living Desert. Boy, did it feel like a desert that day ! Hot hot hot... but oh so fun. We didn't get to spend as much time as we wanted that day here, but it will be on our list again during next trip. Alot of cool animals that normally you don't see or get close to at other zoo's. Think of it as a zoo, but just for animals that live in the desert lands. Its literally built into the mountain, and many of the exhibits with the animals, you can't tell where the exhibit began and where the desert stopped. On the outskirts of this zoo were some great hiking trails that go up into the mountains and circle the San Andreas Fault Line. Um, no thanks.... we were close enough to that in my book as it was, no walking closer to it...



     "Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind"     Seneca


Self photo ... take one.......




Ahhhh, self photo ... take two .... there we have it... goof ball Billy ♥

So there ya have it. Palm Springs in a tiny little nut shell. Seriously, I wish we would of had another week to spend there. There is so much more to explore, we look forward to visiting again soon ! I haven't even begun to photograph the historic buildings, famous shopping districts and mountain sides... Till next time Palm Springs.... till next time.....





No comments:

Post a Comment